Use A Health Care Directive To Plan Ahead And Make Preferences Known


A health care directive, commonly known as a living will, is one of the most important documents a person can have. Regardless of your age or health, there is always the possibility that you could someday be incapacitated. An accident or a health crisis may leave you unable to speak for yourself. Without a health care directive, your family and doctors may disagree on the best course of treatment — or when to let nature take its course.

How do you feel about blood transfusions, feeding tubes, long comas and/or aggressive resuscitation measures? How do you feel about potential enormous costs and financial hardship for a family to maintain a low quality of life when you are not likely to live long? A health care directive allows you to express your wishes — empowering a family member or another trusted representative to speak on your behalf.

How It Works, In A Nutshell — And What Might Happen Without One

A health care directive appoints a person to make decisions about your medical treatment when you are no longer able to make those decisions yourself. A properly prepared document is vital to make sure the person you trust to decide for you will have the necessary authority to do so.

Without a health care directive, a guardianship proceeding would be necessary for your family member or friend to make the same decisions. Guardianship proceedings can be very costly and time-consuming at a time of stress for those who love you. A guardianship may result in a court deciding who will be appointed guardian. That person may not be the same person you would choose. For peace of mind now and a smoother sequence of events in case you ever need this protection, talk to a knowledgeable estate planning lawyer about getting a health care directive in place.

We Can Simplify Things For You Now And Help Your Loved Ones In The Future

Patton, Hoversten & Berg, P.A. in Minnesota offers complete estate planning services. Contact us through our inquiry form or call our law offices in Waseca at 507-835-5240, in Owatonna at 507-451-9000, in Faribault at 507-332-7425 or in Janesville at 507-234-5106, or call 1-888-835-5244 toll-free.