Compensation For Injuries On Others' Property

content ImageIf you've been injured while on another person's property, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your damages. Such eligibility often depends on how you came to be on the property (if you were invited, if you were a trespasser and so on).

The personal injury lawyers at Patton, Hoversten & Berg, P.A. can help you determine if you have a case, and will explain what you can expect in the event of a lawsuit.

FYI: Understanding Premises Liability And The Law

In Minnesota, the winter season creates conditions on public sidewalks that make it easy to slip, fall and sustain injuries, no matter how careful you are when walking. In most cities, the sidewalks are owned by the city, not the abutting landowner.

Traditionally, city governments are immune from liability for any failure to remove ice and snow from city-owned sidewalks. So, usually, an injured pedestrian cannot bring an action against the city. The law, at least to date, has generally not allowed the injured pedestrian to sue the abutting landowner either. Even if the city has an ordinance that makes it the duty of the abutting landowner to make sure that the sidewalk is clear of ice and snow, these ordinances have traditionally been interpreted as not creating a tort duty on the abutting landowner.

A slip-and-fall case is a negligence case that comes under the general heading of tort law. In order to be negligent (and, therefore, liable), a defendant must, first, have a tort duty; and, second, must fail to carry out that duty. The moral of the story is: Watch where you walk, because, if you fall, there may be no one to compensate you for your injuries.

To determine whether you have a valid claim after an injury on someone else's property, talk to a lawyer with knowledge and experience in premises liability and other injury cases.

Do You Have A Valid Premises Liability Claim? Ask An Attorney.

The law requires premises liability cases to be commenced within a certain amount of time, or you lose the right to present any claim. For more information on what options may be available to you, reach out to an experienced Minnesota premises liability lawyer today. Our legal team is available in Waseca at 507-835-5240, in Owatonna at 507-451-9000, in Faribault at 507-332-7425 or in Janesville at 507-234-5106. You may also request a consultation at 1-888-835-5244.